Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Activity Idea of the Week: Sharpie Tie-Die

I am going start trying out some of the activities that I have seen on Pinterest. I have noticed that a lot of camp staff have been pinning the 'Tie-Die with Sharpies' activity.....I have been really curious if this activity actually works! I have read some of the pins and watched a few video links.
It is really easy and it does not create the unique designs like a 'real tie' die activity--but it does offer a similar effect that is really fun and easy to create!
Directions
Materials:
Sharpie/permanent markers in various colors
A cup--(whatever size you would like the tie-die circles to be)
Rubbing Alcohol
A dropper
Q-Tips
Rubber bands
A cotton T-Shirt or cloth item

  • Start by taking a cup and placing the fabric around the open circle--use rubber bands to secure the fabric tightly on the rim of the cup.
  • Use the permanent markers to create a design with in the circle--using multiple colors.
  • When your design is complete....fill a dropper with alcohol and add to the design--the alcohol will cause the ink to blend into each other.....use the Q-Tips to help blend the design.
  • Allow the circle to dry/set before moving onto the next circle.....
  • Continue to add as many designs as desired--lay on a flat surface to dry....wash the fabric in cold water before wearing.
Helpful Hints:
I added in the Q-Tip technique because I think it helped blend the ink...
I was also really generous with the amount of rubbing alcohol I used--the cup will catch all of the liquid.
I also did not wait for each circle to completely dry before moving onto the next design because we wanted the circles to blend into each other.

I hope these tips help and you are able to try out this fun activity!

Happy Camp Planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment